How do we become a more sustainable organisation?
Oasis Cardiff is an organisation that aims to help Refugees and Asylum Seekers to integrate into their local community in Cardiff. We provide weekly cookery sessions, various women only sessions, craft sessions and language classes as well as a range of other activities. The kitchen is often the centre of our activities!
We opened on 30 September 2008. In the first three weeks we had between 25-44 visitors. Now that has increased to 100-110 visitors per day. These have included people from Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, Sudan, Mali and Congo, among many other countries. Some have just arrived in Cardiff, whilst others have been here for a few years.
Brief #1: How do we keep track of our service users?
With limited resources and many service users, we find it had to keep track of how many people we're helping and where they come from. We'd also like to track service users' progress and achievements, classes they attend, things they learn, and information relevant to their cases.
- How do we allow our service users to track their own progress as they learn ?
- How do we collate all supporting and case information for each service user?
- How do we keep track of our service users as a whole and use these statistics for our grant applications and funding evaluations?
- How do we keep this up to date, secure and trustworthy?
Brief #2: How do we facilitate the knowledge transfer between core staff and volunteers?
We're a small organisation which relies on regular volunteering. When we welcome a new volunteer it can be hard to get them up to speed as much of the information is in individual people's heads.
- How do we help new volunteers get up to speed when the first join the organisation?
- How do we put this into a centralised resource, a repository of information for all the staff and volunteers to be able to refer to?
Brief #3: How do we become more self-sustainable?
How do we become more self-sustainable over the next 2 years?What ways can we use to develop the business and bring money in? Including, how do we raise more funds / get donations?And how do we promote ourselves in a positive way (to funders, to users, to the media)?
We need to:
- Generate regular income to run our core services (£60k+ per year)
- Find one-off funding for projects [e.g. we need to equip a professional kitchen and pay for an architect (£50k)]
- Employ good, experienced staff - money is a limiting factor here so income generation will contribute to this aspect.